This workshop has now been completed. Links to presentations can be found below within the agenda.
Thank you to all those who attended and participated in lively discussions.
This one-day, hands-on workshop will provide an overview of the DataONE federation, explain the benefits for groups and institutions to publish data as a Member Node, provide hands-on tutorials in how to establish a Member Node using various software systems, and demonstrate how to use the DataONE web services to access content from client applications. By the end of the workshop, participants will have a detailed knowledge of the design of the DataONE federation, the services that DataONE provides to its Member Nodes, and the technical details needed to establish a Member Node at their own site or institution and to build client applications. The workshop will target information managers, graduate students, postdocs, faculty, and research technicians who manage environmental data at a site as well as people who develop data management and analysis software supporting researchers.
- Date: September 30, 2011
- Immediately following the EIM 2011 Conference
- Venue: National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS),
735 State St., Suite 300, Santa Barbara, CA (see local area map)
- Overview of DataONE architecture
- Federation, reliability, replication, and preservation
- Services provided by DataONE
- Member Nodes: Benefits and Expectations
- Installing Member Node software systems
- Generic Member Node
- Other systems
- Using the DataONE Web Service APIs
- Custom implementation of the Member Node API
Registration is now closed, and the workshop is full as of Sep 7, 2011.
The workshop is open and free, but space is limited. Requests for participation will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis, with the caveat that we will try to accomodate as many groups as possible before allowing multiple participants from a single institution or project. Participants will pay their own expenses for travel, lodging, and other expenses. To register your interest in the conference, you will need to fill out a brief form providing information about yourself, your institutional affiliation, and what you hope to get out of the workshop.
The workshop will be conducted by personnel from DataONE, including:
- Matthew Jones, Co-lead of the Core Cyberinfrastructure Team for DataONE
- Dave Vieglais, Director for Development and Operations for DataONE
- Amber Budden, Director for Community Engagement and Outreach for DataONE
- Chris Jones, Software Engineer for DataONE
In addition, we will have a number of additional team members from DataONE present to assist with the hands-on activities and breakout sessions.
The agenda and activities for the day will include:
|8:00 am||Coffee at NCEAS|
|8:30 am||Welcome, introductions (Matt Jones)|
|8:45 am||Introduction to DataONE (Amber Budden)|
|9:15 am||Member Nodes, Identifiers, and the DataONE Service Interface (Dave Vieglais) (download coming soon)|
|10:15 am||Member Node installation, implementation, and programming activities|
|1:15 pm||Member Node activities (con't)|
|2:00 pm||Investigator Toolkit overview (Chris Jones)|
|3:00 pm||Investigator Toolkit case studies|
|4:15 pm||Questions and discussions|