Organizations embarking on custom development projects to implement Member Node services, or integrate with existing repositories will need to understand the DataONE architecture to a greater level of understanding than those using a prebuilt product. Depending on the level of services planned for the implementation, several topics need to well understood:
- Identifier uniqueness and generation
- Content mutability
- The DataONE update and archiving approach
Authorization and Authentication
- System Metadata maintenance
- Coordinating Node communication
- The Member Node API
- Data Packaging
- DataONE's RESTful Interface
For more information on topics see the Architecture Documentation
Resources & Assistance
- DataONE maintains several resources and products to simplify development projects. For a more information on what is available and how to start using it, see the Developer Resources page.
- DataONE strongly recommends discussing your development plans with our development team before getting too far underway, too ensure a good outcome. For more information read the Deployment Steps page.