Panoply is a cross-platform application which plots geo-gridded arrays from netCDF, HDF and GRIB datasets. It supports the following operations:
- Slice and plot specific latitude-longitude, latitude-vertical, longitude-vertical, or time-latitude arrays from larger multidimensional variables.
- Combine two arrays in one plot by differencing, summing or averaging.
- Plot lon-lat data on a global or regional map (using any of over 75 map projections) or make a zonal average lineplot.
- Overlay continent outlines or masks on lon-lat plots.
- Use any ACT, CPT, GGR, or PAL color table for scale colorbar.
- Save plots to disk GIF, JPEG, PNG or TIFF bitmap images or as PDF or PostScript graphics files.
- Export lon-lat map plots in KMZ format.
- Export animations as AVI or MOV video or as a collection of invididual frame images.
- Explore remote THREDDS and OpenDAP catalogs and open datasets served there.
To be plotted by Panoply, dataset variables must be tagged with metadata information using a convention such as CF.