SpatiaLite is an extension to the SQLite database that enables it to support spatial data.
SpatiaLite is conformant to OpenGIS specifications. It has the following features:
- supports standard WKT and WKB formats
- implements SQL spatial functions such as AsText(), GeomFromText(), Area(), PointN() and alike
- the complete set of OpenGis functions is supported via GEOS, this comprehending sophisticated spatial analysis functions such as Overlaps(), Touches(), Union(), Buffer() ..
- supports full Spatial metadata along the OpenGis specifications
- supports importing and exporting from / to shapefiles
- supports coordinate reprojection via PROJ.4 and EPSG geodetic parameters dataset
- supports locale charsets via GNU libiconv
- implements a true Spatial Index based on the SQLite's RTree extension
- the VirtualShape extension enables SQLite to access shapefiles as VIRTUAL TABLEs